Em is a product and interior stylist, currently ticking the 34 - 39 year old box, living in Perth, Western Australia with her Hubby, Adam, 10 year old daughter, Ava and two cats, Walter & Wong. Em has been creating content for almost 2 years now has built a portfolio working with brands of all sizes, including YSL, Clinique, Salt & Pepper Home, Big W, Nivea, Olay, Daniel Wellington, Sheridan, Colette, Glasshouse, Stanley Rogers & Ecology Homewares. Em and her family are building their dream home, during which Em has become completely obsessed with tapware and fixtures!
Q&A with Em Pearman
How would you describe your creative style?
What kind of equipment do you use?
I use a camera & my Samsung S8 mobile for my photos. I have a great treasure trove of styling props, that includes things like chunks of marble, tiles, wooden trays & boards.
A few of my must have favourites for styling are:
- an assortment of stationary items, including notebooks, washi tape, pens, desk accessories, assorted paper.
- an assortment of ribbon
- Fashion accessories - I love using unique, vintage jewellery pieces, pearls, chunky statement pieces, plus handbags & of course, fabulous stilettos!
- Greenery, twigs, fresh flowers, cotton stems
- home decor pieces
Can you tell us why you love styling in black and white?
My friends say that with my colourful personality, my love of black & white is to balance me out....Lol! I have always been drawn to Black, Grey & White tones. They remind me of old Hollywood glamour & my style icon, Coco Chanel. The mix is chic & stylish & gives a luxurious feel to any space.
Can you share a few of your favourite images you have created and tell us why you love them?
Em's Top 3 tips to creating a flatlay?
1. Start with a good base. I create my flatlays on melamine sheets. I find the surface is nice & smooth, doesnt scratch or mark easily & is super easy to clean.
2. Move things around until the balance is right, if you feel one side is to heavy, try removing a piece or shuffle around the layout. Sometimes adding a pop of greenery or simply walking away for a few minutes to refocus can help.
3. Most importantly, practice & have fun. Join in on challenges, like the weekly ones at Creatively Squared. It is such a wonderful, supportive community & a great way to find inspiration & pick up tips from other creatives. I hope you enjoy this weeks challenge & I can't wait to see your gorgeous creations.
💖 Em xxx